This campaign is set on the border between TL6 and TL7; the normal cross-TL rules assume rather sharper changes. Therefore, for this campaign:
- The standard TL for character generation is 6.
- Except as described below, the standard rules apply: when using TL6 skills with TL7 equipment, there is a -1 penalty for DX-based skills and a -5 penalty for IQ-based skills.
- For most skills - all DX-based skills and some IQ-based, such as Research - gaining familiarity with a TL7 usage of the skill also gives a free upgrade of the skill to TL7 (while not penalising TL6 usage).
- Skills that undergo a major change on or around the TL boundary - for example Electronics Operation (Sensors) or Physics (Nuclear) - must be re-learned at the new TL (from the default of the TL6 skill minus 5, if that makes a difference).
- New TL7 skills may be learned, as long as training is available; Cutting-Edge Training is not required. "Major change" TL7 skills suffer a -1 penalty when used with TL6 equipment; others do not.
- Once a character has points in at least five TL7 skills, his personal TL rises to 7 (without point expenditure). This enables usage at default of un-learned TL7 skills, which would otherwise be subject to cross-TL penalties. (E.g. a TL6 character attempting to use Electronics Operation (TL7) is rolling against IQ-10: -5 for the IQ default, -5 for TL. A TL7 character is rolling only against IQ-5.) There is no penalty for default usage of TL6 skills by a TL7 character.