Size: 180 sq m Popn: 16 000
Languages Palauan, English
This group of Micronesian islands was under Spanish rule after about 1600 but was sold to Germany in 1899. Japan took them during the First World War and administered them with a League of Nations mandate, using them as a naval base during WWII. The USA captured them in 1944 and in 1947 became part of the US Trust Terrritory of the Pacific Islands of which they are the only remaining member. The islands became internally self governing in 1980 as Palau and the country was renamed the Republic of Belau in 1981.
This collection of names was compiled by Kate Monk and is ©1997, Kate Monk.
Copies may be made for personal use only.
tekeli.li home|Onomastikon home